Dentists warn against ‘whitening overuse’
Dentists in the US are warning against the overuse of teeth-whitening products which are readily available in stores across the country.
Over bleaching teeth can increase sensitivity and there have been cases where people have ended up with white spots on their teeth, according to some professionals.
Furthermore, if the bleach is mistakenly applied to the gums it can burn through the tissue.
Toni Mulford, an Ohio dental assistant, told the Post: "Dentists provide safe and effective options, such as custom fit trays with bleaching liquid and in-office bleaching.
"Some people can really hurt themselves, I’ve seen it happen."
But Dr Pete Hehli of Northstar Dental Group said that at-home whitening kits are "safe and effective" among "99 per cent" of users.
According to the American Dental Association, US consumers spent about $2 billion (£1 million) on teeth whitening products in 2004.
Powered by Facebook CommentsJoin this Discussion