Smile Orthodontics and jaw surgery on the NHS

Hi, i've used this site for a while now but only just decided to join the forum. Im about to have braces fitted in preparation for jaw surgery to correct my underbite, they are also going to do genioplasty to improve my profile and they are going to give me dental implants for some of my teeth as previous dental treatment 14 years ago caused root damage. I have to say, i'm more scared of losing my front teeth than i am about having a double-jaw surgery and chin-job!! I would like to add, that this is all on the NHS, so it is possoble for someone over 18 to have orthodontics and dental surgery on the NHS

http://jawsurgery-journey.blogspot.com
    Last edited by c.patterson; 01-29-2013 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Blog link added

Hi,
    I'm over 18 and have been referred to see an orthodontist because of a severe underbite. I got bullied badly at school and had a fear of the dentist hence when the surgery was not done earlier. After six months I have my initial consultation in two weeks. How long have you waited? Is there a long waiting list in the NHS? I've waited so long I just want the braces and then surgery... If only it all happened that quickly!!

Default sorry for the late reply

I was referred by my dentist in Aug 09 after experiencing severe jaw pain. had my first consult in Nov 09, a second consult in Feb 2010. At the second consult i was told that the waiting list for nhs orthodontics was 18-24 months. I had a letter in Oct 2010 inviting me for a visit with the orthodontist in March 2011. I thought that was it, the end of the waiting, but it wasnt. I was giving a pre-orthodontic appointment for May 2011 and a date for the fitting of my braces - 23rd Aug 2011. TWO YEARS waiting from referral from my dentist until my braces will be fitted. 18 months waiting from my second consult. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news I'm starting a blog about the whole experience, when its up and running i'll post a link. fingers crossed for you, that you dont have to wait as long as me!

Default Update

I thought I would update my thread with a little more info.
    I am now (28 years old) it is nearly 4.5 years since I was originally referred to an NHS Maxillofacial Surgeon for a double-jaw surgery to fix my large underbite and a chin reduction to improve my profile. I was fitted with my braces 17 months ago and still have a number of months in braces until my teeth will be in their ideal post-surgery position.

I have severe root resorption in my four front upper teeth (from previous orthodontic work) but my orthodontist works around these and has managed to work wonders so far. Hopefully I will not lose them and have to have them replaced with titanium implants.

I am starting to become very afraid at the prospect of the surgery as they are literally going to peel the skin from my face, saw off my upper and lower jaws and my chin bone and then reposition them. But I can without a doubt say that the NHS treatment I have been receiving is amazing.

My appointments are always on time. If I have an issue with my braces they will fix it the same day. The orthodontic staff and the Maxillofacial staff are like a bright star shining in the dark sky. They have been brilliant and I'm sure I couldn't get any better treatment from going private. It is doctors like these who give the NHS a wonderful name

You can see my journey (with photos of my underbite) on my blog if you wish. The link is above.